Translate

Tuesday, February 14, 2006

Needlecraft blog

Hi,
I am Bhavani. I am interested in all kinds of needlework be it lace making or embroidery, ethnic or contemporary.

I am especially interested in the common links among the various ethnic embroideries of the world.
For example Spanish Blackwork and an Ethnic embroidery Kasuti of Karnataka (India) share the same basic principles and they are both reversible.
Aremenian Embroidery and another ethnic embroidery of India - Kutchwork of Gujarat both predominantly use the Maltese cross.

I decided to create this blog so I can interact with all you needlework lovers out there.

7 comments:

Bhavani Harikrishnan said...

Hi Shanthi,
hope find this useful. say hi to Janani.

Anonymous said...

Nice. Good start. I am looking forward to some interesting posts.

Bhavani Harikrishnan said...

I have completed the jacobean embroidery piece multi-coloured and all. i'll soon have a photo ready.

I have started working on a Brazilian embroidery sampler from JDR Sunshine's designs.

Anonymous said...

Hi!
I m not greatly into embroidery. But I should say, I can manage a neat work. My mom is into crafts. So, if you can put up the pic that u mentioned about jacobean embroidery, it will be interesting. Actually, jacobean is a mathematical term that we use. So, I m very much curious!

Bhavani Harikrishnan said...

Hi anu,
I'll post a picture soon. Can you tell me Jacobean is a mathematical term used for what?
When in school I always used to wonder why we had to learn geometry etc. But I find it very very useful for turning out perfect embroidery.

Anonymous said...

Hi,

This is a wonderful site. I am learning kasuti and was interested to know where I can get books on kasuti. Any help in this direction is very appreciated.

Thanks,
Sunitha

Sunitha said...

Hi,

I love this site very much. Its a wonderful one. Can you help me know where I can get books and what books on Kasuti are available?

I really appreciate this help.

Thanks,
Sunitha