Translate

Wednesday, September 06, 2006

Toda Embroidery

For the past 7 years I've been wondering about this kind of Embroidery. I had only read about it. I searched the net but all I came up with is that Toda Embroidery is a type of embroidery done by the Toda tribe living in the Niligiri Hills OOty.
Then a few days back a student of mine showed me a piece of cloth that looked like the Hebrew Cloth(???) in the movies "The 10 Commandments". Guess what? She told me it was Toda embroidery and a very old piece at that - almost 40 years old. I have often heard the maxim, if you want something badly enough you'll get it - but this is the first time I am experiencing it.
Here is the piece I am so exited about.

Yesterday, she brought me 3 more pieces and here are the pictures.






The work looks a bit crude in the sense that the motifs are not properly aligned.

My next job is to chart these patterns and find out more about the history of this style of embroidery - after I complete charting the Lagartera Embroidery motifs, I am currently working on.

No comments: