Translate

Sunday, January 07, 2007

TAST # 1 - The Herringbone Stitch

More than month since my last post - and what a month! Had our sofa upholstered. But the guys refused to polish the sofa. So I decided to sand and polish it myself. No point in having a new look sofa and clutter everywhere else so I started decluttering first one room and then the entire house including the loft. Criteria for throwing things out - if I haven't used something in more than 5 years, then chances are I am not likely to use it ever - so out it went. I still have two more shelves to declutter.

SharonB of inaminuteago.com has started a new challenge Take a Stitch Tuesday
She will dicuss a differnt stitch and all its variations each week. The stich discussed last week was the Herring bone stitch.

I have worked out the basic Herring Bone and a couple of variations.
My favourite though is the Herring bone Stitch worked within a circle. I struggled a bit with this. I remember my grandmother used to work this on hanky corners when I was a kid. I never bothered to learn the stitch and now she is no more. All I remember is that she used two coins to draw the circles. I am still not sure if I got it right. I have to check with my mom and aunts for samples of my grandma's work.
Thanks to Sharon, I was forced to try it out.

I have used the Closed Herringbone stitch for the first circle and the Open Herring Bone for the second.


I am still working on the other variations which I will post as soon as they are complete.

I am working on more variations,

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Bhavani,
Welcome back...Was wondering what happened to u.Glad to see u back in action.

Anonymous said...

Very beautiful work.

Jrao said...

Hello Bhavani,

I greatly enjoyed ur lessons on kutchwork and other pieces, and would be grateful if you could teach me the basics of smocking work. Though i have learnt many other needlecrafts this one has eluded me and am keen to learn now.

Best wishes,

Janaki
Chennai 17