Translate

Monday, July 06, 2009

Posting Other People's content

I had a nasty shock today while browsing the web. I found some of the contents from my Kasuti tutorial copied and posted word for word in another blog and the author was passing it off as her own. There is no possibility of her having copied the contents from the same book I have copied it from as my husband first reasoned - because Whatever I have posted is from my personal notes taken over 15 years of teaching embroidery.

My husband and sons had smug smiles on their faces and if any one of them had said, "I told you so." I would have smacked them. Their constant nagging about other people copying content was one of the reasons why I did not continue the tutorial. Their main concern was the amount of time and effort I was putting into it.

I never worried about copyrights before because thus far I've always found people stumbling on interesting blogs referring readers or directing them to the said blog.
Simply speaking, I never felt the need.

Now it looks like I have to water mark my tutorials and look into copy rights.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Unfortunately, this is a big problem on the internet. I've known a lot of bloggers who have taken to watermarking! It's really too bad that a few "thieve" ruin it for us!

Nima said...

sorry to hear that...It is one of the main problems in the internet ....people try to miss use the technology

Grangry said...

Oh Bahvani, that's nasty! I know others who have had this happen - the sad thing is bloggers are on whole so generous and these people ruin things for all of us.

Jo in NZ said...

Bahvani, i hope you have contacted them, and why the heck not name them!
It is not a fair thing to do.

Bhavani Harikrishnan said...

I have finally figured out how to watermark my pictures whithout having to buy any expensive software.

I did contact her Jo. I posted a comment on her blog. Guess what! She was annoyed with me because I of my comment and because I wrote about it in my own blog. She would have appreciated it if I had e-mailed her instead.

She says that all she wanted to do was make her point clear and she saw no harm in using my pictures.

That's some people for you!

Looks like she is new to blogging so I told her to read about blogging ethics and that she was lucky I did not flag her blog and
left it at that.